Friday, August 17, 2007

A Whole New World


The other day for one of the Mommy and baby groups I attend, I made Cooking Light's Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie (pictured). I was very proud of it (hence my need to take a picture of it). At the mom's group, I admittedly ate about 2 1/2 pieces of it because it is SO good. While I was at the mom's group, my sense of smell returned briefly. This meant I could taste the pie better (without the sense of smell, I can only taste what the taste buds can detect: salty, sweet, bitter, and sour). Some other blessed mom brought chocolate chip cookie bars. How did she know that I have been jonesing for a chocolate chip cookie? I ate four of them (Weight Watchers, eat your heart out!). I thoroughly enjoyed this whole new world of smelling and tasting, and think it strange that my sense of smell briefly came back while I was eating everything I am allergic to. I've nicknamed this Chocolate Peanut Butter pie, "Allergy Pie." It contains milk, peanuts, egg whites, and wheat. By the time I got into the car to go home, I could no longer smell. However, this morning while baby and I took a walk, I could smell again. I smelled the sunscreen I had applied, my cherry chap stick, the evergreens in someone's yard, along with the smell of weeds. The last smell I remember is burning wood. Someone, somewhere, must have been burning a wood stove (in August??). Ironically enough, I am highly allergic to the wood smoke, and haven't smelled since. But, thanks to God for a brief whiff into a whole new world. Being able to smell is truly amazing!

No comments: