Sunday, April 27, 2008

Book Review - The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

The Shop on Blossom Street, the first in Macomber's Blossom Street Series is a story of how four women's very different lives are "knit" together through their knitting class. Yarn shop owner, Lydia has fought cancer twice and is afraid of love. But in the end, of course, she gets the guy. Punker Alix Townsend, is an unlikely candidate for the knitting, but she ends up being the hero in two of the women's lives, she gets a makeover, and gets the guy in the end. Jacqueline Donovan is a high society lady with a troubled marriage, and of course, by the end of the book, her marriage is healed and she learns to be less snob-ish. And Carol Girard, who physically can't bear children, is given a child and becomes a parent by the end of the book.


Despite my pathetic summary, I did like this book, and my usual complaint for a Macomber book, that she doesn't write deep characters, was changed a little bit. We got to see a lot into the psyche of Lydia. But, then Macomber did it again, and skipped forward a year at the end of the book! I wanted to read some of the interactions that happened, but instead, just got the summary version. Overall, I do like this book and plan to read the rest of the series.

I did get three other books from the library from authors I've never heard of before. I have to be honest and say that the first one I tried...oiy...it was all about apples and blah blah blah. I couldn't stick with it. With the summary of the book on the back cover and the prologue that basically describes the ending...why do I need to read the book now? Oh, how I need a Nicholas Sparks book.

2 comments:

Erin J said...

I recently read the second book in the series, A Good Yarn. I really enjoyed it and I'd like to go back and read the first one. I felt like for a quickie novel the characters were fairly well developed and the plots were fun.

Kelley Taylor said...

Oh, Bless you Erin for reading my silly "book review" post. I have A Good Yarn ready to read, but I thought I should try to branch out first to the other authors...but now I don't think I can. I think I'll start A Good Yarn. Yeah, they are good quickie novels, and there are things that bother me about them, but like I said, I'm addicted to them.