Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot

When I went grocery shopping last week, I had an urge to cook a whole chicken. I don't know where this came from - I've only cooked a whole chicken one other time. It was 40 Clove Chicken cooked in the crock pot. I didn't want to bother with 40 cloves of garlic this time, but I wanted to cook it in the crock pot. I found a recipe in my Slow Cooker recipe book that was basic: whole chicken, lemon juice, butter, thyme, onions, etc... so I set out to preparing it this morning. Neither the recipe nor the bag the chicken came in said what I should do with the insides of the chicken. Then I noticed this on the packaging:

Some parts may be missing??? How can they not know whether they gutted the chicken or not? So, with my limited culinary knowledge, I peeked inside the chicken cavity. There was a long thick piece tumbling around in there, which I assume was the neck. That went in the trash. Then, it seemed as if there was a heart - no wait, there were two of them, so I'm guessing they were the lungs - GROSS!! This was almost enough to make me go vegetarian. I was wondering why I didn't just buy the rotisserie chicken already made at the grocery store, but like I said, I had an urge to cook a whole chicken. At this point I didn't know what to do. I called hubby at work, because he always has some sort of advice to hand out. No answer. I was on my own. Then I had the brilliant idea that I didn't need to touch the lungs (or whatever they were) with my hand, but that I could use a spoon. Great! So, I scooped out the lungs into the trash, rinsed the chicken at least 5 times, and proceeded with the recipe. I'm hoping that since I didn't find a heart in there that that was one of Foster Farms' missing giblet pieces...I'll never know.
The end result was very good - very tender. I wanted to hurry up and eat my meal, so this is the best picture I got of the final product.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum......looks delish...The "part" of chicken in question could have been the "gizzards" or the liver..I doubt it was the lungs.....I've never seen lungs in a "collection" of chicken innards in my many years of cooking whole chickens...ha ha :-) Your recipe sounds very good. SMA

Kelley Taylor said...

Maybe one of them was the liver and the other was the heart? ...