Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July Food


These are my sugar cookies arranged in an American flag. The next time you hear me say I'm making sugar cookies to decorate, remind me of all the time it takes. Tell me that it's going to take longer than I think. Tell me that I can't even eat the sugar cookies because they have wheat in them. Promise me you tell me these things.


This is my Grammy's Cream Cheese Pie. It is delicious! Our guests for the fourth really loved it and raved about it. Here's the recipe:

Grammy's Cream Cheese Pie
12 0z. (1 and half bricks) of softened cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Pour into graham cracker crust and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until set. Remove pie from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Then pour topping (recipe below) over pie. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Refrigerate for at least five hours.

Topping:
1 cup sour cream
3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Special notes: I baked this pie for 25 minutes and it still was not set. I didn't know what to do, so I just kept following the rest of the recipe, and when I went to add the sour cream topping, it sunk into the middle of the pie because it was not completely set. I spoke with my aunt, and she said factors such as the humidity and the size of the eggs cause this pie to take either longer or less time in the oven to set. So my advice is don't be afraid to do as much time as necessary so that it sets, but obviously doesn't turn too brown. My aunt said she has even had to do an extra 10 minutes. I only did mine an extra five minutes, but I needed to do it longer. But after it finished setting in the refrigerator, it was not runny when I served it, so all was okay!


You can eat the pie plain, but since I had never had it before (well, we supposedly had it a lot growing up, but I just don't remember), I really thought that it needed a topping. I didn't realize that the pie has its own sour cream topping. So, I made a raspberry reduction sauce and added three blueberries to complete the Fourth of July look. It was de-lish.

Here's another picture of my baby. My real baby, my Little Guy ate a whole piece of pie off his aunt's plate. After he finished, she had to get another piece for herself.


Here's my raspberry reduction sauce. It was a little difficult to make and only made about 1/2 cup, which was plenty in the end, but for all the work...I'm not sure I'd made it again. But, the taste was phenomenal, so maybe I'll make it again if I really want to knock the socks off my guests.

No comments: