Monday, October 20, 2008

Book Review - Sunset by Karen Kingsbury

Sunset is Kingsbury’s last book of her 14-book Baxter Family series. It was decent. John Baxter gets remarried and sells the house where he and his now deceased wife raised their five children. Ashley and Katie get pregnant and give birth. on the same day - cute. There was not too much re-hashing of what had happened in the previous 13 books – good job editing team – rather John Baxter reflects on what’s happened in the lives of his children. Kingsbury finds a way to make it not boring, but it’s not earth shattering reading either. I was really intrigued by Bailey Flanigan and Cody’s story, but we do not really get to see anything settled between them. Their story is definitely worthy of its own book, so I was disappointed not to see more of Cody and Bailey in Sunset. I am not sure if Kingsbury is going to start a new series based on the Flanigans or not. The rest of the story is just an ending to the whole Baxter series; nothing special. Definitely don’t read Sunset if you haven’t read the previous 13 books.

2 comments:

Cottage Mommy said...

I've read all but one of the other books in this series and I almost bought the new one but didn't. This wasn't my favorite series from her. I never really got into them but read them anyway! I have noticed you read a lot of Suzanne Brockman? I have never read her - which of her books would you reccomend?

Kelley Taylor said...

I would recommend Brockmann's Tall, Dark and Dangerous series. The first book is Prince Joe. The story is a little far-fetched, but I totally loved it anyways. I've actually only read the first two books in the series because that's all the library has.
Good luck!