Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 99 - My Rose

This little box that holds a glass rose has a special place in my heart. If you know me, you'll know that I am not a fan of trinkets, but this one is an exception. When my husband was my fiancĂ© back in college, he invited me to go to Disneyland with he and his family. Having grown up in Southern California, I said that I had been to Disneyland every year for my birthday and I couldn't fathom spending money to fly there and stay in a hotel, especially when I could spend that money on a wedding dress. So my fiancĂ© and his family went to Disneyland without me, but he brought me back a glass blown rose. I put it in a vase and placed the vase on a bookshelf in my apartment. As fate would have it that rose got battered and broken there on the shelf. Each of my three roommates had accidentally (supposedly) broken a piece of the rose off until there was really nothing left. (The bookshelf was in a high-traffic area.) Not being too attached to trinkets, I didn't mind too much, but my husband was saddened. A couple of years after we were married, he found this rose, set on a cushion and protected inside a box, and he bought it for me. He even took me to Disneyland in 2005, and I complained the whole way there - I still couldn't imagine spending money to fly and stay there. But, guess what? I loved it and can't wait to go back!

I just wanted to show the full picture here so you can see how the box is situated.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Wow, what a thoughtful husband. Thanks for sharing this!