Monday, March 21, 2011

Beef Stir Fry - Project 52 Week 12

This is my attempt at a nice stir fry photo. I'm not completely happy with it. I tried some food styling tricks on this, such as cooking everything separately so it looks more appealing. One trick I didn't try but should have was putting clear or white marbles under the noodles, but I wanted to eat it when I was done, so I didn't want marbles touching my food. The marbles would have held up the food higher, because as soon as I piled my meat on the noodles, they started to sink and the meal looked flat.

Here's one of the pictures that inspired me:  NY Times Photo
Here's another blog post that inspired me to try some food styling: Nicolesy. She has a great side-by-side comparison of her stir fry that is styled and her real stir fry that she would prepare to eat.

Here's my photo of the stir fry all cooked together (the way the recipe says) and just plopped into my bowl (note, the lighting was WAY different because the sun had set and so I had no natural light (and was too lazy to get out my flash).


Here's the recipe for the most amazing stir fry I've ever eaten.
Beef Stir Fry
2 pounds Flank Steak
3 whole Green Peppers
2 cloves Garlic
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
_____
FOR THE STEAK MARINADE:
2 cloves Garlic
¼ cups Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
_____
FOR THE STIR FRY SAUCE:
¼ cups Oyster Sauce
2 Tablespoons Mushroom Soy (or Any Dark Soy)
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Rice Wine
1 Tablespoon Sugar

Preparation Instructions

Slice the steak thinly. Once the steak is sliced, put in the steak marinade ingredients and set aside. Slice the green peppers in half and take out the seeds. Slice the peppers into think slivers, but not too thin.
Chop up 2 large garlic cloves and place into a heated pan. Put the oil in and heat through, stirring the garlic. It should start smelling grand!
Put in the steak on one side and cook. I like it a little bit rare, but not too much. Once it’s cooked to your liking, turn it over to the other side. Now mix the stir fry sauce all together and pour it in slowly while the meat is cooking on the second side. Now this is where you have to watch. If you put too much of the sauce in, it will get soupy, and I don’t like soupy stir fry. I like a well-coated but dry stir fry.
But that’s just me.
In other words, use your discretion here!
Throw in the peppers. And are you ready? Stir, stir, stir. Don’t overcook. I take out a pepper after about 4 minutes and try it. If it’s done but slightly crunchy, then it’s perfect.


Recipe from Puna Miller from Tasty Kitchen.


My note: I LOVE rice noodles. The kind I used here are Maifun Rice Sticks. I soaked them in hot water for about 10 minutes, then added them into my stir fry at the end.

1 comment:

Life Images by Jill said...

I must say, I like the second photo better. The first one looks uncooked and unnatural. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for stopping by on my blog. There is a place now for comments on the Food Glorious Food page. I hadn't ticked a box to allow comments. I'm not doing anything on DPS, but I have started a page on Flickr - are you on Flickr. I'm posting pics over there now. I took a break from DPS, and I don't seem to know anyone there anymore.
I guess you are looking forward to spring over there - we have had enough of summer her.
Keep up the great food photos and the recipes!