Monday, January 16, 2012

Books: Mockingjay

I finished the third book in The Hunger Games series, Mockingjay, last week. I was satisfied with the ending and was very glad I got to read all three books in quick succession as opposed to waiting a year between the release of each book.

When I started with the first book, The Hunger Games, I liked the quick pace that Collins had used in the book, aided by the first-person narrative of Katniss Everdeen. But I'm a romance reader at heart, and I missed my third-person omniscient point of view. I kept telling my husband throughout the first book, "I want to know more!" "What's Peeta thinking?" "What's Gale thinking?" It was killing me. Finally in the third book, Mockingjay, I feel like I got my answers, which is why I can say I'm satisfied with the ending. Very smart writing by Collins.

Now that I'm on to my next book,  The Best of Me, by Nicholas Sparks, which is in the third-person omniscient, I'm missing the first-person narrative of The Hunger Games. Fickle! (Note, I'm not saying Sparks is a romance writer; it just happened to by next on my list.)


No comments: