Thursday, February 2, 2012

Brown Butter and Sea Salt Cookies - Gluten Free


IMG_0389-ps
Last October, my aunt brought me a package of Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Browned Butter Sea Salt Cookies all the way from the Brown Butter Cookie Shop in Cayucos, California. They survived the plane ride and everything! Let me tell you, those three cookies were worth it! I even portioned them out so I wouldn't eat them all in one night. It was such a surprise to have the last cookie a week later when I really NEEDED a cookie. I haven't found a recipe for the chocolate mint cookies yet, but I did find the basic Brown Butter Sea Salt cookie recipe from scottandtinaphillips.com. Here is my gluten-free version with some slight variations.
IMG_0358-ps

Gluten Free Brown Butter and Sea Salt Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup salted butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups gluten free flour
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
Sea Salt

1. In a small saucepan, melt butter on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned. Stir in sugars and vanilla and remove from heat.
2. Let the sugar mixture cool to room temperature.
3. In a mixing bowl add flour, xanthan gum, and baking soda. Stir in sugar mixture until combined.
4. Let the mixture rest for at least an hour to let the flour absorb all the butter. The mixture may be stiff afterword and crumbly; microwave handfuls of dough for 10 seconds. The dough will be easier to roll.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
6. Roll 1 inch balls of dough and place on cookie sheet. Gently flatten the balls with the bottom of a glass. Sprinkle sea salt on top. (Flattening the cookies was one of my additions. You can see I did that for the cookies in the foreground in the picture above, whereas the cookies on the plate have not been flattened. I think the flat ones look better.)
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Place a sheet of foil on countertop and transfer cookies to the foil to cool.
IMG_0336-ps

3 comments:

Nicoly said...

You should bring those to Seabrook!!! They look delicious!

Kelley Taylor said...

Good idea! They do have dairy in them though (the butter), so I guess our dairy free friends still couldn't partake.

Anonymous said...

So leave out the dairy butter & substitute vegan butter instead.