Sunday, February 12, 2012

French Toast with Strawberry Compound Butter

 

French Toast with Strawberry Compound Butter 
Ingredients:
Bread (we use Sourdough, French, or this time I bought a loaf of actual French Toast bread)
Milk
Egg(s)
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Vanilla Extract
Butter

For every 2 slices of bread, use 1 egg and 1/8 cup milk. For example, if you want eight slices of French Toast, use 4 eggs and ½ cup milk.

Put the milk and egg in a shallow dish like a pie pan. Whisk together. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste and about ½ teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk together.

Melt about 1 Tablespoon butter on a hot griddle (I heat mine to 400 degrees) or a skillet on medium. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in the egg mixture and place on griddle. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until done. Serve hot and enjoy!

Strawberry Compound Butter
I saw Pioneer Woman make a blackberry compound butter on her show a few weeks back and it looked delicious and easy, but there was no recipe for it on the Food Network. So here I have typed up my version of her compound butter. My friend Sheree came over and we made compound butter together, isn’t it fun to cook with friends? We split what we made, but I think next time, I’m going to make a lot more because it’s so good.

Ingredients:
2 sticks of salted butter, softened
5 or 6 fresh strawberries

Wash strawberries well and pat dry. Remove stems. Cut strawberries into small pieces.

Put the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the butter until its creamy. Remove whisk attachment, and put on the paddle attachment. Add the strawberries and gently mix them together (mixer should be on lowest setting).

Place a sheet of foil (about a foot long) on the counter, then put the same amount of plastic wrap on top of it. Put half the strawberry butter on the plastic wrap and form into a log. Roll the plastic wrap around it (like a tootsie roll). Then wrap the foil around it (like a tootsie roll). Store in the freezer. When you’re ready to use it, take it out, slice it and let it sit out for about ten minutes, then enjoy! This would be good on toast, pancakes, French toast, etc.

4 comments:

Princy Vinoth said...

i love bread and this looks so tempting :)

MyFudo™ said...

This looks like a luxurious breakfast for a busy day ahead...I love the Strawberry butter =)

Julie Thomson said...

Hi! I'm working on a French toast recipe round-up for The Huffington Post Taste and I'd love to feature your recipe. Please contact me if you're interested. Thanks!

Kelley said...

Hi Julie, I'm interested, how do I contact you?