Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cherry Oreo Cheesecake



I had the opportunity to have the big family Christmas celebration at my house this year (first time for me!). Since I love desserts, in addition to the ham, I assigned myself the pies. Now, my husband's family usually has 2 pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving and 2 pumpkin pies for Christmas (and that's it!). So at Thanksgiving, I asked some of the cousins what their favorite desserts are. I heard cheesecake and anything with chocolate. I saw this lovely recipe for cherry cheesecake and decided to make it with an Oreo crust to incorporate the chocolate aspect and it was delicious and visually stunning. Enjoy!


Cherry Oreo Cheesecake
Serves 12

Ingredients
1 Oreo Crust, see below
3 8-ounce bars cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups sour cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup cherry preserves

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350° F. 

2. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup of the sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in ½ cup of the sour cream and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.

3. Pour the mixture into the crust and bake until just set, 40 to 45 minutes. (I recommend putting foil on the shelf below the spring-form pan in case it leaks – yes, this happened to me.)

4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 ½ cups of sour cream, ¼ cup of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Spread over the hot cheesecake and bake until set, 3 to 5 minutes more. Let cool in the pan, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake before unmolding.

5. Spread the preserves over the cheesecake before serving.

The cheesecake can be baked up to 2 days in advance; refrigerate loosely covered. Before serving, unmold and top with the preserves.

Oreo Cookie Pie Crust Recipe
Ingredients:
24 whole Oreo cookies
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter

Preparation:
In a medium-sized bowl or a food processor, add the Oreo cookies and blend until the texture of coarse meal or crumbs. Add the melted butter and blend until well combined.
Place the ground crumb mixture into a 9-inch spring-form pan and press onto the bottom and up the sides evenly with a straight-sided dry measuring cup. Try to make the crust about 1/8 inch (1/3 cm) evenly all around.
Makes 1 pie crust.

8 comments:

Yellow Blog [design] said...

Great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, it seems so easy to do!



Yellow Blog [design]
http://yellowblog.storenvy.com
- Get 10% OFF by using the code "valentines2013"!

Kelley said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Curious, where does the 1/2 cup of melted butter come in? It's listed right above the cream cheese along with the filling ingredients, but nowhere in the instructions is there any indication how the melted butter is to be used. I do see there's some melted butter listed in the crust ingredients as well. I know there are some cheesecake recipes that use butter in the filling, is this one of them?
The picture makes me want cheesecake again, and this recipe sounds scrumptious! Thanks for sharing! :)

Joy

Kelley said...

Joy, thank you for pointing this out. The 1/2 cup melted butter was left over from a recipe for the crust, but since I did a different crust than the original recipe, I forgot to take out the butter. I've updated the recipe above. I hope you make it and like it. I have to say it freezes well too; we had so much at Christmas that I was left with three huge pieces and right when I needed a piece, they were there for me in the freezer.

Jordan said...

This looks great! I'd love to feature you and your recipes on our site RecipeLion.com. If you're interested, please email me at jsward@primecp.com. Looking forward to hearing back!

Kirsi said...

I decided to make it with a store bought crust, and ended up having enough for two! It was delicious. I'll totally be making this one again.

A suggestion, though. I added a bit more vanilla to the second one than the first, and it ended up tasting a lot better (my personal opinion though)

Kelley said...

So glad you liked it, Kirsi! That's a great idea with the store bought crust and so much easier. Thanks for the tip on the vanilla.

Rachel Page said...

Thanks for this simple and delicious recipe. I made it yesterday for my friends and they love it!