Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Strawberry Apple Crisp


IMG_0992-ps

We had a lovely (and rare) day of sunshine this past weekend, and I was inspired to make a strawberry apple crisp. I think a crisp is one of my favorite desserts ever. Here's the recipe I always use:

Apple Crisp
6-8 medium cooking apples (about 6 cups sliced)
½ cup sifted flour
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup old fashioned oats
¾ tsp. cinnamon
¾ tsp. nutmeg
1/3 cup butter

Serves 8
Butter a 9x9x2 inch baking dish. Wash, pare, core, and thinly slice apples. Arrange in an even layer in baking dish. Set aside. Mix together flour, sugar, oats, and spices. In a food processor, if you have one, with a pastry blender if not, cut in the butter, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle flour, sugar, butter mixture over apples. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until crust is crisp and apples are tender. Serve warm, garnished with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

*Strawberry variation: I used about 6 cups worth of sliced strawberries and added two sliced apples. It was very juicy due to the strawberries, so next time, I might try adding ¼ or ½ cup of oats in with the fruit.

No comments: