Friday, January 10, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup


Before I was told that I need to eat healthy food that won't cause inflammation (back when I was eating wheat, dairy, corn, etc.,) I thought butternut squash was that weird stuff that my mom would make instead of spaghetti noodles. What I didn't know was that I love butternut squash; therefore, I LOVE this soup. I will say that butternut squash does take quite a while to peel and chop, so plan time for that, but it's worth the work.

If you’ll notice, I stuck a spinach leaf in the soup for the picture, but you really could throw a handful of spinach into the soup, let the hot soup wilt it, and eat it with the soup. It’s a great way to eat more greens.

Butternut Squash Soup
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large sweet onions, peeled and roughly chopped (about 3 cups)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon coarse salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 6 cups)
4 cups chicken stock, warmed (or vegetable stock to make it vegan)

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add the salt and pepper and stir. Add the squash and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour the warmed stock into the pot—if it doesn’t quite cover the squash, add some boiling water. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.

If you have an immersion blender, use that to blend the soup. If not, use a blender being careful to let the soup cool first, and then blend it in batches. Season with more salt to taste.

-Recipe from My Father’s Daughter  by Gwyneth Paltrow

No comments: