Monday, January 6, 2014

Vegan, Gluten-Free Chocolate Mint Cookies


I didn't post for the whole half of last year since I found out I again have multiple food allergies (wheat, dairy, corn, eggs, soy) and I also need to avoid certain other foods to keep myself healthy (more on that later). I've spent the past 6 months figuring out what to eat that won't hurt my body and how to make it taste good, and I'm ready to share with you!

This is about the fourth vegan and gluten-free recipe I've tried, and I have to say I’m so pleased that I have got the hang of baking without eggs! I made this recipe based off two other recipes, and it is a keeper. These cookies stay together so well and taste so good!
Gluten-Free and Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookies
Ingredients
1 ¼ c. butter flavored shortening (like Crisco)
1 c. white sugar
½ c. brown sugar
4 Tablespoons non-dairy milk (like Almond milk, I use vanilla-flavored, unsweetened)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups gluten-free flour mix*
1 ½ teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum if avoiding corn
¾ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups mint chips (get dairy-free mint chips or substitute with another vegan/dairy-free chip, like a carob chip; or use a dark chocolate vegan bar and it break up into small pieces and use it like chips) *confession: my mint chips had a tiny bit of whey in it, but I found this acceptable for the holidays.

Directions
1.       Heat oven to 350
2.       In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars together until light and fluffy.
3.       Add non-dairy milk and vanilla; beat well.
4.       Combine flour, xanthan gum, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
5.       Gradually blend into creamed mixture. Stir in mint chips.
6.       Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I use parchment or a silicone baking mat on my cookie sheets.) Bake 8-9 minutes. (Do not over bake; cookies will be soft.)
7.       Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet onto wire rack; let cool completely.

Makes about 3 dozen
-Dairy free option
-Gluten free
-Egg free
-Soy free
-Corn free option


*This mix of flours is good for cookies, cakes, brownies, and gravy; I make at least two batches at a time, mix it up and keep it in a bag or glass jar. Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum does need to be added if making something like cookies, brownies, breads, that need to stay together (1/2 teaspoon per cup of gluten-free flour mixture).
2 cups extra fine brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/3 cup tapioca flour


No comments: